If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Order of Battle Unit organization, composition, equipment, and histories

Old 3rd October 2008, 01:58   #1
Volksgrenadier
WWM Member

Default Ulrich von Hutten Division

I am trying to clear up a descrepancy I have found in how the Stab of the Ulrich von Hutten Division was formed. I have seen contradictory information on this subject. Mitcham Vol 2 mentions the headquarters was the former Staff of the 56th ID. Other sources, Feldgrau.com, cites the 18.Panzergrenadier-Division as providing the Stab/Division Ulrich von Hutten. And still others say that the Stab of the Ulrich von Hutten division was made up of remnants of the Stab of the 18 Volksgrenadier division. Any help in clearing this up is greatly appreciated.
Volksgrenadier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2008, 15:35   #2
MRomanych

Volksgrenadier:

I asked one of the most experienced researchers I know – Larry deZeng. Here is his reply:

Infanterie-Division Ulrich von Hutten. "*Formed 30 March 1945 in Wittenberg/Wehrkreis IV as a division of the 35th Wave from personnel gathered from schools and replacement units located in various Wehrkreise. Organized as an Infanterie-Division 45, the assembly and formation of the Division continued until 25 April 1945. Designated as a GIF (Generalinspekteur für die Führernachwuchs-) Division. For the formation of the artillery component, V.Abt./Volks-Artillerie-Korps 412 was used."

*Tessin, Georg. Verbände und Truppen der deutschen Wehrmacht und Waffen-SS im Zweiten Weltkrieg 1939-1945. 16+ Bde. Osnabrück: Biblio Verlag, 1965-c.1990. Band. XIV, pp.244-45.

Tessin lists the components of the Division and where it was engaged, but he wrote nothing about the origin of the Stab. If available, the Division's formation orders should be in the surviving records of the Organisations-Abt./OKH and these are on microfilm at NARA in RG 242/Microcopy T-78. These should definitively reveal the origin of the Stab.
Old 8th October 2008, 02:18   #3
Volksgrenadier
WWM Member

Default thanks

Marc,
Thanks for the response on this one. I have the best (MC) looking into the file Larry mentions, lets hope it turns out favorably. Below is a commentary from another source:

Inf.Div.Hutten: Stab, Half Nachr.Abt. from 18.VGD
Rest of 56.ID and 180.ID
1.Kdr. was Generalleutnant Blaurock (56.ID)
2.Kdr. was Generalleutnant Engel

Mike's search should be able to clear this up. Thanks again for the assist-Steve
Volksgrenadier is offline   Reply With Quote